Re: Don't waste time on offline newsreaders...

>I agree that the matter itself is independent of a particular OS, but
>a particular solution should not be adopted without considering
>options that are more in line with the way things have usually been
>done in the Unix world.

Unix world is changing.
"Typical" Unix does not run at home computers. (Linux, FreeBSD and others)
Nor have good friendly GUIs. (Gnome, KDE to say two)

>I don't pay for local calls here, but as a network administrator I do
>have to deal with the related issues of bandwidth and congestion.

I pay (all Spanish ppl pay) locals and to add insult to injury the nets are
slow and expensive. Maximum home speed is 33.6K or ISDN 64K (more money, of
course). After that, the only solution is to get frame relay or similar
lines. No cable modems, no xDSL...

>I am implementing a NewsCache-based solution for our whole network
>because it frees scarce resources.

OK, good idea. If someone chooses to install Unix as LAN/WAN server it will
be OK, but for home not. And of course, the inverse, a home "on demand" news
server will no be right for a LAN/WAN that is always connected to Internet.

>I agree.  And even if NewsCache and leafnode are not exactly what is
>needed, they can be extended or rewritten---my point was that there
>are better ways of achieving the same, *important*, end, that are more
>suited to the host platform.

Of course, better reuse code.
But again: the needed thing is a "on demand" download, when speaking about
home computers.

>> Maybe we are the third world, but even saving transferences is a duty of
>> everyone, 1st or 3th world (waste is stupid).
>I agree, and wasn't trying to suggest otherwise.

<just kidding>About the 3th world or about waste?</just kidding> =;D

GSR