Re: gnome yellow sticky project (projects)

Aldy> Perfect.  This is exactly what I want.  Is this the job of
Aldy> CORBA, the main Gnome API or what?  How do I trap such events?
Aldy> Where do I start?

Sadly, while we've talked a bit about this, no real motion has been
made.

At some point I'll stop talking and actually write something.  But it
won't be today, or maybe even this week.

Probably it makes the most sense to use the standard CORBA Event
Service.  Then the Gnome Event Manager program would just be a special
instance of an Event Channel object.

The sticky notes program would probably only have to implement the
push consumer.  This is pretty easy; you just need to make an object
with two methods.

Probably all the Event Service code should be put into a library for
easy reuse.

Lately I've been thinking that Gnome events should actually be use a
typed event channel; we could easily write the typed<->untyped
converter for this particular special case.  The idea here is that
Gnome clients wouldn't have to decode `any' objects coming from the
Gnome event manager; these would have a (mostly-) known format.

So in the short term, I think the answer is: you can't really start,
unless you want to write the event code.  If you do want to do this, I
can send you all the details of what I think we want.  If there is
interest, I can post them here.

Tom