Why use guile?

Why is guile the "official" scripting language for GNOME? When rms
originally proposed guile, the reason was that he didn't want people
forced to use a particular scripting language.  He said people should have
a choice of which extension language they want to use.  The idea was that
guile would be the common denominator, and that a number of different
languages could be "compiled" into scheme, and you would write your
extensions in whatever language you preferred. In GNOME, isn't this one of
the reasons for using CORBA?

With CORBA as the common denominator, you could write extensions with
guile, but you could also use Python, Perl, Tcl, C, C++, Java, etc.  So
isn't CORBA serving the purpose that guile was originally designed to do?
I see messages on this list to the effect that if you are going to be a
serious developer for GNOME, you should know or learn scheme.  Isn't this
in complete contrast to to the original purpose of guile -- that you
shouldn't be forced to use a particular extension language?

If GNOME will only support one scripting language, then perhaps we will
have separate projects split off from GNOME, i.e. PyGNOME, PerlGNOME, etc.
similar to what has happened to FVWM.  I think this would be a bad thing.
Why does there have to be a a single "official" extension language?

Tony.