Re: Database for gnome

On Sat, Feb 07, 1998 at 01:56:19PM -0500, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Doesn't ODBC have some performance problems though?  I have heard it
> is OK for simple uses, but if you need efficient access you go directly
> to the database with whatever client support they have.  For instance,
> at work we use sqlnet to Oracle and I've been told ODBC would be too
> slow for the applications (WWW access to the database).

You're talking about implementation, and not the protocol itself.  It's
very possible that oracle's native ODBC implementation is garbage - but
then that would only make it easier to transition away from them, wouldn't
it?  I suspect that if oracle's ODBC drivers suck, then using a
thrid-party ODBC driver would yield much better performance.

> I'm think ODBC would be good for Gnome to use generally, but that we'd
> also want to support things like SQLnet and protocols for other databases
> as well.  Maybe like Perl does witht he DBI/DBD stuff.

SQL*Net should be made obsolete by CORBA+ODBC.  So should other such nasty
hacks to extend a database to a network.

-Peter