Re: Database for gnome

In message <199802061833.NAA02469@e-com.tertec.com>, "Darren Inksetter" writes:

> > Isn't sql standard?
> >
> > If it is not, we can just come up with a backend thing.
> >
> > Miguel.
>
> SQL is a standard, but the backend isn't.  Which leads to ODBC.  Which free
> dbs have ODBC support?

Doesn't ODBC have some performance problems though?  I have heard it
is OK for simple uses, but if you need efficient access you go directly
to the database with whatever client support they have.  For instance,
at work we use sqlnet to Oracle and I've been told ODBC would be too
slow for the applications (WWW access to the database).

I'm think ODBC would be good for Gnome to use generally, but that we'd
also want to support things like SQLnet and protocols for other databases
as well.  Maybe like Perl does witht he DBI/DBD stuff.