Re: How to gnome/CORBA?

> > Build lots of "services" that all the different apps can use so that we
> > have an extremely configurable, customizeable, lightweight system.
>
> How ´light´ will it be?  I mean, will it bring a P150 down
> to its knees?  All those dandy-peachy features are OK, but
> what when it comes to talk about performance?

Here's a disappointing first impression: I was (finally; thanks,
Owen) able to d/load and compile the gtkmico demo client
and demo server ... but not at first.  I got it to compile at work
(on a SPARC10 running Solaris 2.6, which in itself is really
cool), but that machine has 96Mb RAM.  My home machine,
running exmh, netscape, ical, and a coupla Eterms, ran out
of its 106Mb of swap trying to compile them.  Is that typical?
(linux box, 32Mb, redhat 4 (not 5), heavily modified)

I was appalled to see the resulting executables were 800k,
and 1.8Mb on the Sun.  Some relief was had, however, when
I 'strip'ed them, and they are 100k on the linux box, and, umm,
800k I think (can't remember) on the sun.

They both run about 4.4 Size, 2.6 RSS on the linux box.

> BTW: Your ´what is corba´ answer was simply excellent.

Seconded.

--
                                                               Urmane Hendrake
"Apology accepted, Captain Piett."                             aka Jim Niemira