Re: Is DPS a first-level component of GNOME?

Tom Tromey <tromey@creche.cygnus.com> writes:

> Jim> * GSM (Gnome Session Manager, now just called Gnome,
> Jim> unfortunately)
>
> Why "unfortunately"?  I had suggested this a while back, and Miguel
> wrote to say he thought it was a good idea.  That's why I changed it.

A few reasons:

 1) It should be optional.

 2) It's confusing.  You can't just refer to it as "gnome" without
    prefacing the comment or people will confuse it with the overall
    project.

 3) What if somebody wants to write a competitor to it with an enhanced
    feature set.  The perception will be that yours is the "official"
    one, and the other one is "unofficial".  If it is indeed better,
    it will be confusing to switch.

I don't really care though.  :-)

Cheers,

 - Jim