Re: Is DPS a first-level component of GNOME?

>> This has me confused, actually.  If every app is already exporting
>> its interesting bits via CORBA, isn't having it do guile too simply
>> providing two ways to do the same thing?

Jim> I think so.  If we had good CORBA bindings for Guile, then
Jim> binding Guile directly into apps (if they support CORBA) isn't
Jim> necessary.  There are probably a multiple of reasons why somebody
Jim> might want to support both ways of doing it though - I don't
Jim> know.

It might still make sense to include Guile into your application.
Here are some reasons:

* It often makes good sense to write large applications in a mixture
of compiled and interpreted languages.  In a situation like this,
Guile is an implementation detail of the application (but which the
developer might still expose in some way to power users).  (This is
the best reason.)

* It's a shortcut to exposing *all* application functionality via
CORBA.  This is lame, I know, but people might do it just to avoid
writing hundreds of stub functions.  (Anyway, at the beginning it is
probably more important to have critical functionality be exported
than to have everything be exported)

* The developer might be concerned about standalone use and
extensibility (this "reason" is pretty weak)

Tom