Problem with running panel from 0.99 rpms

Hi all,

I downloaded and installed the gnome 0.99 rpms from a mirror
(jimpick.com - couldn't get into ftp.gnome.org to save my life) last
weekend and I can't get panel to run (also the
background-properties-init, screensaver-properties-init,
mouse-properties-init mentioned in the user guide don't seem to exist
anywhere).

First time trying to use gnome; I'd appreciate any help.

Here is the output when I try to run panel:

(willy:11:54:11)~ $ panel
Unable to connect to server port 35091
panel: error in loading shared libraries
/usr/lib/libgnome.so.0: undefined symbol: esd_sample_getid
(willy:12:11:55)~ $ nm /usr/lib/libgnome.so.0 | grep esd_sample
         U esd_sample_cache
         U esd_sample_free
         U esd_sample_getid
         U esd_sample_play
(willy:12:14:07)~ $ rpm -q gnome-libs
gnome-libs-0.99.0-1
(willy:12:14:11)~ $ rpm -qf /usr/bin/panel
gnome-core-0.99.0-2

--
Willy Lee uses some form of Emacs      http://www.jps.net/willy2
ICQ-UIN: 7570905             "People hardly ever make use of the