RE: GNOME registry

On Wed, 30 Dec 1998 17:51:06 Fox, Kevin M wrote:
> Aaaahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!
> Yuuuuccckkk..........
> Sorry, the word "registry" is corrupt for all time, thanks to Microsuck. :)
>
> There, that being said, maby somthing like this would be a good idea. The
> implamentation has to be far better then the winblowz "registry". Actually
> readable.
>
> I think somthing like this needs to be a system wide thing, not just GNOME.
> Maby a library for config saving should be created. The library could have
> different modules for different ways of saving the data. One for flat files
> in /etc, one for LDAP, etc. It would be a good idea to modle it after PAM.
> Then, if you have a stand alone box, you can use standard flat files, and if
> you have a large network of unix boxes, you could place all the settings in
> a LDAP directory.

LDAP is probably what we want for the backend [...can CORBA use LDAP for its
registry needs?], but something like the JNDI (Java Naming and Directory
Interface) would be very cool as the API; i.e., one client side API that can
transparently access multiple backend directory services in a common fashion.

JNDI is very nice and well worth examining/using/copying.

--
Mark Hamstra
Bentley Systems, Inc.