problem with gnome-libs (gtk-xmhtml)

Hello,

I have a very strange problem while compiling GNOME. If I try to compile

gnome-libs I get about the following error.

<not important>
../gtk-xmhtml/.libs/libgtkxmhtml.so: undifined reference to `uncompress'

../gtk-xmhtml/.libs/libgtkxmhtml.so: undifined reference to `compress'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
<usual make-error stuff>

So I compiled the rest dir-by dir and I can compile most gnome-core
packages except the ones which need this part of the libs.
This sucks as this is the first time that I got GNOME somewhat
running and I want to get rid of KDE because KDE
(except KOffice) defines what I don't currently like about UNIX.

I have both the shell commands "compress" and "uncompress" and I can't
think about what might have caused this problem.

For the programmers: Doesn't undifined mean: Net asigned a value to?
With an answer to the above question I might be able solving the problem
myself.