RE: GMC Network - (Long)

[OFF TOPIC]

Probably this is not the right place for this topic but since it started
here and since it may be interesting to help understand Windows networks
I'm posting this here.

=> Network Browsing in TCP/IP Windows Networks <=

There are 3 important roles when it comes to browsing a Windows Network:

"Domain Master Browser"
"Master Browser"
"Backup Browser"

The following is a transcript (I removed some parts of the text and
included what I think it is the essential) from technet with my comments
between []:

*** Domain Master Browser ***

The domain master browser is responsible for collecting announcements for
the entire domain, including any network segments, and for providing a list
of domain resources to master browsers. The domain master browser is always
the primary domain controller (PDC) of a domain.
For a domain that uses TCP/IP and spans more than one subnetwork, each
subnetwork functions as an independent browsing entity with its own master
browser and backup browsers.
When a domain spans multiple subnetworks, the master browser of each
subnetwork announces itself as the master browser to the domain master
browser, using a directed [note: "directed"] MasterBrowserAnnouncement
datagram. The domain master browser then sends a remote NetServerEnum API
call to each master browser, to collect each subnetwork's list of servers.
The domain master browser merges the server list from each subnetwork
master browser with its own server list, forming the browse list for the
domain. This process is repeated every 15 minutes to ensure that the domain
master browser has a complete browse list of all the servers in the domain.
The master browser on each subnetwork also sends a remote NetServerEnum API
call to the domain master browser to obtain the complete browse list for
the domain. This browse list is available to browser clients on the
subnetwork.
*** Master Browser ***
The master browser is responsible for collecting the information necessary
to create and maintain the browse list. The browse list includes all
servers in the master browser's domain or workgroup, and the list of all
domains on the network.
Individual servers announce their presence to the master browser by sending
a directed [note: "directed"] datagram called a server announcement to the
domain or workgroup master browser. Computers running Windows NT Server,
Windows NT Workstation, Windows for Workgroups, Windows 95, or LAN Manager
send server announcements. When the master browser receives a server
announcement from a computer, it adds that computer to the browse list.
*** Backup Browser ***
The backup browser receives a copy of the network-resource browse list from
the master browser and distributes the list upon request to computers in
the domain or workgroup [i.e. when some Windows user clicks the "Network
Neighborhood icon"].
Backup browsers call the master browser every 15 minutes to get the latest
copy of the browse list and a list of domains. Each backup browser caches
these lists and returns the list of servers to any clients that send a
remote NetServerEnum API call to the backup browser. [i.e. when some
Windows user clicks the "Network Neighborhood icon"]
End of transcript.

I won't go into browser election.

How do clients know which computers are the browsers ? WINS. How does it
work ? Browsers register specific names in the WINS Server where the last
(16th) character (byte) of name has a special meaning. Two examples:

<Domain Name><1B> - "Domain master browser name.  This name identifies the
primary domain controller and indicates which clients and other browsers to
use to contact the domain master browser. " (from technet);

<Domain Name><1D> - "The master browser name that is used by clients to
access the master browser. There is one master browser on a subnet." (from
technet) [this is a list of addresses. Not only one address];

When a client wants to get the computers in the network neighborhood it
asks WINS for the master browser address, it gets a list of Backup Browsers
from the master browser and it retrieves a list of servers from a select
Backup Server.

Conclusion: A client doesn't need to issue broadcasts to get the "Network
Neighborhood". However depending on the type of node a Windows machine is
configured as (node type is another concept. It defines in which way a
computer will resolve a name to an IP address) it may be using broadcast to
resolve names to IP and only after that it will use WINS. In that case you
have broadcast but it's not necessary.

So, does this idea of WINS and browsers work well ? When you consider very
large networks the answer is NO. In large networks the replication of WINS
databases among WINS servers is a big pain. WINS management is horrible and
very unflexible.

Sorry for the long mail. Don't flame me please.

Jorge.