Re: Enlightenment 0.15 slowing down kernel clock?

At 11:15 PM -0500 on 12/28/98, raster@redhat.com wrote:
> only 3 letters:
>
> WTH?
>
> (What The Hell)
>
> I CANNOT understand this - i cannto see how a userland process can do
> this - especially E. It wasn't coded to even attempt this - are you
> sure you havent changed somehting else as well at the same time - this
> is likely the cause.

This was exactly my original reaction. I have narrowed the process down to
this:

1. Restart the box
2. Wait any period of time (as little as 10 mins) and up to 48+ hours
3. Launch enlightenment

Immeditely, the clock slows. If I exit or kill E, the problem persists! I
have to restart the computer to regain normalcy.

At first I thought it may have been something in gnome, but without any
gnome elements running, a launch of enlightenment produces this behavior.
Gnome with fvwm2 was fine. I think E-0.14 was also fine.

I've tried with both the 2.0.36-0.7 and -1 kernels.

I am also running ntp-4.0.90f, but said works properly until E starts. Once
E starts, ntp cannot keep up and loses synch.

I can repeatedly type "date<cr>" and see the seconds fail to advance :(

Thanks, igor