Re: GNOME Bugtracking System

Quoting Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@pobox.com>:
> Gleef wrote:
> > What's going on with the GNOME Bugtracking System?  On one hand, it looks
> > like many items get addressed quickly.  On the other hand, there are 95
> > incoming items going back as far as August.
>
> Is this the GNOME bug tracker linked on http://www.gnome.org/ ?
> AFAIK this hasn't been used in quite a while.  Dr. Mike (?) offered
> RedHat's bug tracking system -- which isn't Jitterbug -- to GNOME.
>
> Since you brought this up, though, I wanted to cast a ballot for
> Debian's bug tracking system that Erik Andersen described.  That sounded
> really neat -- everything can be done via e-mail OR the Web.  CC'ing
> e-mail to bug-12345678@bugs.gnome.org attached your e-mail to that bug
> report.  E-mailing bug-1234-done@bugs.gnome.org closes the bug report.
> Much faster and more productive than Jitterbug...
>
> 	Jeff

You just send email to submit@bugs.debian.org (instructions are at
http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting.html but most folks just use the
"bug" script. It would go something like this:
    bug gnome-libs
and vi/emacs/editor of choice starts up and you describe the problem.
you closethe editor, and off goes the bug report. How much easier could
it get?

For a good example check out the bug list for bash at
http://www.debian.org/Bugs/db/pa/lbash.html

It really is nice -- and is free. You can take a look and see it in
action at http://www.debian.org/Bugs/ and you can download it from
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~ian/debbugs/ and install it and try
it out.

It even lets you classify bugs by severity. Currently you can set
any bug to be either critical, grave, important, normal, wishlist,
or fixed. This lets people write scripts that automagically post to
debian-devel-announce with a list of all bugs that must be resolved
before a release.

Please folks, do consider this, because it is really good.

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.inconnect.com/~andersen/
                   email:  andersee@debian.org