Re: GNOME Bugtracking System

On Mon, 28 Dec 1998, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Gleef wrote:
> > What's going on with the GNOME Bugtracking System?  On one hand, it looks
> > like many items get addressed quickly.  On the other hand, there are 95
> > incoming items going back as far as August.
>
> Is this the GNOME bug tracker linked on http://www.gnome.org/ ?

Yep, that's the one I'm talking about.

> AFAIK this hasn't been used in quite a while.

Looking through the entries, there seems to be a mix.  Some packages have
pretty much abandoned the bugtracking system, some have quite recent
entries.  I haven't heard anything about it being formally abandoned, and
it's still on the webpage, so I copied the bug report I made about
gnome-libs/zvt there, so it's on both the list and the system.

> Dr. Mike (?) offered RedHat's bug tracking system -- which isn't
> Jitterbug -- to GNOME.

The best bugtracking system in the world won't help if it is ignored :-).
Seriously, I think bugtracking is useful, but it will surely be ignored if
it is a pain to use.  The current bug tracking system is in sore need of
cleaning (and possibly replacement), and the gnome-list offers bug reports
but no tracking or followup.

> Since you brought this up, though, I wanted to cast a ballot for
> Debian's bug tracking system that Erik Andersen described.  That sounded
> really neat -- everything can be done via e-mail OR the Web.  CC'ing
> e-mail to bug-12345678@bugs.gnome.org attached your e-mail to that bug
> report.  E-mailing bug-1234-done@bugs.gnome.org closes the bug report.
> Much faster and more productive than Jitterbug...

This does sound really easy to use.  What do the developers want?  If you
want an active bugtracking system, either the current one or a different
one, and you've got a computer to run it on, I'm willing to put in
the hours to maintain it, keep it current, filter out the FAQ's, and make
sure the people who can fix the bugs know of the bugs.  I think I've been
around long enough to know where everything goes here.

Best of Luck,
-Gleef