Re: Common Open/Save Dialogs for GNOME

Patrick Gannon wrote:

> That said...
> Are there common open/save dialogs for gnome?  I have some interesting
> ideas regarding this matter.  I have already started work on a toolkit
> using gtk+ but I decided before I go any farther I should talk with
> others more acquainted with the overall project at hand.I would like
> to implement a toolkit so that open/save dialogs could be used like
> the following:

[skipping implementation stuff since design is more my area of
expertise]

> file list box would look like this:
> filename   size   permissions   type
> _v__________v___v_user_group_other_vv
> +|..        |   | rwx   rwx   rwx  ||
> +|somefile  |12 | rw-   rw-   ---  ||
> +|anotherfil|40k| rwx   ---   ---  ||
> +|adirectory|   | rwx   r-x   r-x  ||
>
> where the v's are triangles that can be dragged to give a particular
> file attribute more or less visability, the +'s can be clicked on to
> bring up a dialog with more extended information about the file, and
> the file permissions can be clicked on to toggle them (assuming you
> have permission to do so).
> If anyone has any questions or comments regarding this matter, you may
> email me at: PatrickJosephGannon@yahoo.com

while you have some good ideas, i'd encourage you to join gnome-gui-list
where a discussion about improved file selection dialogs for gnome libs
1.1 is taking place now. you'll see that there are alternative behaviors
of similar functions are being proposed and improved upon; i'd also
encourage you to seek consistency with existing widgets rather than
trying to create the new ones you've proposed here.

go through the gnome-gui-list archive, take a look at the mockups that
have been posted there, then subscribe to the list and join us in
improving usability and design for gnome apps.

all followups to gnome-gui-list@gnome.org please. and merry christmas,
all!
--
| To ensure privacy and data integrity this message |