Re: gnome-perl reorg?

"Tuomas J. Lukka" <lukka@fas.harvard.edu> writes:

> I don't know what would be the best way to do this - delete all the
> current files and make new directories and import the new files or
> alternatively make a new top-level directory "gnome-perl-new" and
> move that to gnome-perl after it works.
> There are some changes in CVS that will have to be remerged to the
> author's versions but fixing this split would be quite important IMHO.

Just remember CVS is pretty braindead when it comes to moving files
about.  ie, you can't - you must delete and then add (the "filename"
is the unique identifier used to identify files in the CVS repository,
as opposed to an inode in the ufs world).

The best way to do this would be to branch the tree, then in your
local copy create the new directories as they are to look when the new
version is finished, to the best of your ability.  Then check this in,
ensuring that it all gets associated with the experimental branch and
not the head revision.

Keep the stable version at the head, and when the new version is past
alpha, either tag it as the head release, or merge it with the head
release, and then tag it as the head release.  This ensures that
bugfixes and new features can be added to the stable version, whilst
keeping the experimental version close at hand.

See the "cvs" info pages for some good info on all this stuff, or the
cyclic web page (http://www.cyclic.com).
--
Sam Vilain, sam@whoever.com         work: sam.vilain@unisys.com
http://www.hydro.gen.nz                home: sam@hydro.gen.nz