Re: Kernelconfiguration with control-center ui ?

On Mon, Dec 21, 1998 at 04:16:43PM -0500, Dan Newcombe scribbled:
> > It would be totally awesome to have the kernelconfiguration made by a
> > control-center like thing, that is, you have a tree menu on the left
> > with all options (network,filesystems etc) in it and the options on the
> > right.
>
> make xconfig

  Yes, but I think his point is that you could integrate the tree-structure
of the kernel configuration tool into the Gnome control-center.  Like the
subtrees already there.  I think this is a good idea but it would be tough
to do (and maybe tough to keep in sync with kernel development but I
don't think the config structure changes very often..)

  On another note, it just occured to me that there are a lot of times when
a Gnome program might need superuser priviliges.  With the freeze it's
probably too late, but could the next version of Gnome maybe include some
sort of helper function to exec a program as root (or another user) which would
either do it in a configurable way (ie, use su..sudo..whatever..prompt for
a password..) or else pop up a dialog saying you don't have access to do X?
In fact, I guess that could even be an app..gsudo..(this line of thought
was sparked by the fact that only root--on my system at least--can run
make *config in the kernel tree, even without saving..)

--
  Daniel Burrows

  Nothing is hopeless.

  PROOF:
(a) Assume the opposite.
(b) If something _is_ hopeless, then its condition can only improve.
(c) If its condition can only improve, then there must be hope for it.
(d) Therefore, nothing is hopeless.  QED.