Re: CVS server (va.debian.org) is sending back crap!

On 21 Dec 1998 18:24:13 +1300, Sam Vilain <sam@hydro.gen.nz> wrote:

>> But, for what is worth, it hasn't happened again since last night...now I
>> am confronting a whole host of "move file x; it is in the way" type
>> conflict errors.  Anybody who has figured out how to get rid of those...I
>> would love to hear from you! :-)
>
>I think the current answer to this is to use checkout or get only for
>the first checkout, and to update it with the "update" command; ie:
>
> $ cvs -z3 -d :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.gimp.org:/cvs/gnome co gnome-core
>[...]
> $ cvs -z3 update -dP gnome-core
>
>This will cease to work if any module aliases have been added or
>removed in the "modules" list.  You can get this list by checking out
>the top level module CVSROOT;
>
> $ cvs -z3 -d :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.gimp.org:/cvs/gnome co CVSROOT
>[...]
> $ ls -l CVSROOT/modules
>-rw-rw-r--   1 sam      sam          4237 Dec 20 17:07 CVSROOT/modules
>
>Watch for changes in this file.  If the entries for any of the modules
>you are interested in changes, then the safest thing to do is to
>delete them altogether and re-check them out.

You don't have to delete them - just check out on top of the current copy.
When used in this fashion, checkout is a "smarter" (if less bandwidth
efficient) version of "update".

-- Elliot
"In film you will find four basic story lines. Man versus man, man
 versus nature, nature versus nature, and dog versus vampire."
    - Steven Spielberg