Re: CVS server (va.debian.org) is sending back crap!

sml13@cornell.edu writes:

> But, for what is worth, it hasn't happened again since last night...now I
> am confronting a whole host of "move file x; it is in the way" type
> conflict errors.  Anybody who has figured out how to get rid of those...I
> would love to hear from you! :-)

I think the current answer to this is to use checkout or get only for
the first checkout, and to update it with the "update" command; ie:

 $ cvs -z3 -d :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.gimp.org:/cvs/gnome co gnome-core
[...]
 $ cvs -z3 update -dP gnome-core

This will cease to work if any module aliases have been added or
removed in the "modules" list.  You can get this list by checking out
the top level module CVSROOT;

 $ cvs -z3 -d :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.gimp.org:/cvs/gnome co CVSROOT
[...]
 $ ls -l CVSROOT/modules
-rw-rw-r--   1 sam      sam          4237 Dec 20 17:07 CVSROOT/modules

Watch for changes in this file.  If the entries for any of the modules
you are interested in changes, then the safest thing to do is to
delete them altogether and re-check them out.

The strategy I use is to not use checkout at all; use update -dP from
the top level for all modules, and then construct the directory
structure that checkout would have produced in my temporary compile
area based upon the contents of the "modules" file.  This, however,
requires knowledge of how that file works :^).

Sorry for this complicated answer, but CVS is essentially BAD (broken
as designed) when it comes to handling features that the underlying
filesystem doesn't support.

Todd, do you think this should be in the FAQ?
--
Sam Vilain, sam@whoever.com         work: sam.vilain@unisys.com
http://www.hydro.gen.nz                home: sam@hydro.gen.nz