Re: My Little Wish List for Gnome

---Havoc Pennington <rhpennin@midway.uchicago.ed
wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Dec 1998, Robert Soros wrote:
> >
> > 	2) GMC is coming along very nicely! I'm impressed, but one little
> > silly thing that I do a lot of the time, I kill the GMC window to
get
> > rid of it. Unfortunately, the desktop icons and everything else that
> > goes with gmc disappears as well. This is a bad thing IMHO. The
> > desktop icons should stay there during the entire gnome session.
> >

> Maybe your window manager kills the process instead of sending a
"delete
> window" event - the desktop icons are supposed to remain. Try
choosing the
> Close menu item instead... in WindowMaker for example, you would
kill the
> whole process if you chose Kill from the window menu, but the X button
> only closes the window.

Unfortunately my windowmanager kills the process, which is not good at
all:(  Correct me if I'm wrong though, cannot apps be coded so the
parent window will only have a delete_window  event attached to them,
overriding the window manager's kill_process scheme ? I would hope so,
because If I'm asking this question now, your going to have a lot more
people asking why their desktop icons are disappearing in the future.

> Doesn't it work in gmenu? There's a "User Menu" and "System Menu" in
mine.
> I haven't actually tried it though.

Uhmmm, Yes, Now that I look at it closely mine does.  I was a little
afraid to play with that user menu thing, scared I might mess
something up since I didn't really understand what it was for. Thanx
for the tip.

> It's because open menus grab the keyboard probably; the accelerator
events
> are processed by the main window which doesn't get events while the
menus
> are open. That's my theory. I don't know how hard it would be to fix
in
> Gtk.

:~~~~~~((((((((

> > 	13) guname is borked, no way to scroll down on detailed
information:(

> Fixed in CVS, I think.

Yes, the patch author sent me a note confirming this, maybe my guname
is getting old.

	15) Whatever happened to the gnome foot pixmap in the menubars ? I
> > really loved that idea, it gave gnome apps a way to distinguish
> > themselves from ordinary crap :((( (best place for it was in place
of
> > the (about) button IMHO)
> >

> It was weird and most people didn't like it, and no one ever did the
work
> to make it configurable.

Well, thanx for the tips and ideas about what is going on here in
gnome, Appreciate it very much :)))

Too bad the gnome foot is gone :~~(
==