My Little Wish List for Gnome

Greetings Gnome users and Silly Mac Heads out there!

	I thought I would put a little wish List together, some might even
call this a bug-fix-list if your so inclined to say so. Hope some of
this can be considered..

	1) How about Mouse-over events. Internet Explorer in windows has a
nice way of saving colors, the icon images are black and white till
the mouse comes over them, then they spring to life in all sorts of
very nice colors, this is a very nifty feature. Besides, might help
people on displays with limited colors.

	2) GMC is coming along very nicely! I'm impressed, but one little
silly thing that I do a lot of the time, I kill the GMC window to get
rid of it. Unfortunately, the desktop icons and everything else that
goes with gmc disappears as well. This is a bad thing IMHO. The
desktop icons should stay there during the entire gnome session.

	3) make is so gnome-session doesn't hog up 99% of cpu time :)

	4) This next problem has been with me since I started using linux
about two years ago. Broken Icon images for Iconized windows.
	Imagine using afterstep or enlightenment, or whatever windowmanager
you prefer. Load up Gcalc for example, Minimize that window and your
left with an empty minimized window icon (usually 64x64 pixels or
48x48.) An Icon pixmap should go along with that application
automatically, Like EE, Netscape, Balsa already do.
	Netscape has done a good job covering this issue. Even when
subsequent child windows are minimized they all have the netscape icon
pixmap.  Almost No apps other than netscape do it unfortunately :((
	This icon-pixmap problem grows even worse, now that we have these
nice pagers for the gnome-panel. IMHO, there should be small 8x8 or
10x10 icon pixmaps for each app that will the gnomepager will accept.
Right now there are two different states that the gnome-pager icons
pixmaps represent (minimized and viewable, but always the same pixmaps
unfortunately.) I'd like to see a little netscape pixmap in the gnome
pager, balsa, ee, etc, etc.
	Linux desktops look so fuggen broken because of this problem. Ever
run Window Maker with a bunch of apps that didn't have pixmaps for
their iconized state? It looks stupid, all the 64x64 icons have this
ugly *BROKEN* pixmap attached to them, Making the whole desktop look
Second Rate IMO.  (yes, I know the user can fix this by editing some
config files, BLAH, do window users have to do this?? I dont think so)
	Lets just get rid of those gigantic 64x64 icons and use the gnome
pager instead :)) The NextStep feel doesn't feel so good to me.

	5) One of the latest libgnome features is being able to tear off
Menubar menus, ie. Tear off "file", "help" "View" "about", etc, this
is nice, i love the feature. But one little thing, the Windows dont
inherit a very descriptive name. ie. I tear off the Gnumeric "edit"
menu (actually it's not tearing off, but just duplicating) and the
window has the name "edit".. ... so i go to the gnome pager, and guess
what, it says "edit", I dont know what edit is, edit for what
application ? I might have 5 edit windows torn off, i'd have to search
through each one. The Window Name should be "Gnumeric: Edit" IMHO....
**just a little thing** :)

	6) The up/down stock icons are ugly, change them :) heck i'll put
something together for ya that looks better, Green is a nasty colour.

	7) gcalc is a nice app, but some of those buttons need colour dont ya
think ?:)

	8) question maybe: Can individual users setup their own
~/share/apps/, so when Gmenu is run normal users can change the way
the menu is setup. As it right now, only root has privelages to write
to that directory (and all the desktop files/.order/etc), and
supposing everybody else could write to /usr/local/share/apps/, they
would change the look of everybody else's panel menu,, maybe I'm
missing something here , but each user should be able to customize the
look of their desktop ?

	9) Gnothello really needs network play :)))

       10) When I run Ghex or Balsa or a number of other gnome apps,
Sometimes I use the short cut keys, ie. Alt-f  for the file menu. But
unfortunately when I try to use short cuts for subsequent options in
that menu, it doesn't work. ie. in Ghex I use alt-f to open the file
menu, when i press cntrl -o to open a file, nothing happens, nor any
of the other short cuts in that menu :((( Unfortunately this may be a
window manager issue (using Enlightenment right now) as none of my
other key-macros work after I hit alt-f originally.  (alt-f1 , f2, etc
to switch desktops do not work :(((()

	11) Somebody explain MDI to me, I dont understand it all all, but it
appears in the control center and preference dialogs of many apps :)

	12) All the warnings in gnome-core and gnome-libs are annoying during
compile time :)

	13) guname is borked, no way to scroll down on detailed information :(

	14) Does Balsa need to lock up completely when retrieving new mail ?
(is that a feature? i hope not)

	15) Whatever happened to the gnome foot pixmap in the menubars ? I
really loved that idea, it gave gnome apps a way to distinguish
themselves from ordinary crap :((( (best place for it was in place of
the (about) button IMHO)

	16) well i'll ramble on later about my gripes with gnome :))
Otherwise Its going great, especially witht he new gmc look :)

==