Re: RPM 0.99 report

On Sat, Dec 19, 1998 at 12:35:09PM -0500, raster@redhat.com wrote:
> the problem here is a race condition of panel, pager and E - the panel
> starts up - looks for a gnome compliant WM - e hasnt started yet -
> panel works in "fallback" mode - but then E finishes init.
>
> the solotion:
>
> (sleep 4; panel) &
> exec enlightenment

UGLY UGLY UGLY UGLY UGLY!!!!!

I have another idea ... gnome-session should know if it's running a gnome
compliant wm or not ... therefore it should be able to launch first the
wm and then wait for the window that is described in the gnome wm spec ...
then launch panel ...

OR ... panel could be launched by enlightenment ...

OR the panel code could automatically have a 4+ second pause as a timeout
to wait for the right WM .. but this would kind of suck in non gnome wm

> ->  Basically, I have to say that most of the E gizmos mystified me
> ->  because most of them seem to have a counterpart in the panel.
>
> primarily cause E is designed to run standalone and thus diplicates
> stuff - its as simple as:
> ctrl+alt+b

could E figure this out on it's own and if it senses a panel it could
turn off redundant features??? .... then if the user really really
wants em he can just press ctrl alt b again

George

George Lebl <jirka@5z.com> http://www.5z.com/jirka/
  The following implements RSA in perl and is illegal to export from the US: