Re: GNOME needs VA's help?

On Thu, 17 Dec 1998, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> > You didn't see my previous post about he upcoming Alpha cluster that'll
> > be open to the public? Build it on Alpha and you'll find even more bugs
> > that wouldn't be so obvious on intel. If it doesn't build on Alpha then
> > it probably won''t build on any of the more exotic systems ether.
> > Remember you have to build to be able to debug it :)
>
> Oh, and how can we get access to that cluster?
>
> I want it badly :-)
>
> Miguel.

You realize of course that most apps won't run any faster at all
on a cluster, since they will only run on one box.  You need to write
custom code using MPICH (or some other message passing interface lib),
and make sure you work on inherently parallilizable stuff.  Unfortunatly,
clusters simply don't act at all like an SMP box (threads don't migrate,
memory isn't shared, etc).

That said, I'd like to burn some cycles on that cluster as well... ;-)

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.inconnect.com/~andersen/
                   email:  andersee@debian.org