Re: Control Center

On Thu, Dec 17, 1998 at 04:21:25PM -0500, Michael K. Johnson wrote:
> sml13@cornell.edu writes:
> >This may be veering off topic a little bit, but to any of y'all at
> >RedHat:  linuxconf (which is written in gtk, right?) suffers from this
> >same poor design.  A new tab is generated for every tree item you select
> >and pretty soon the left side of the contol center window is an absolute
>
> That's improved in the current CVS gnome-linuxconf.
>
> The usability assumption is that folks won't be pulling up 3,721 tabs
> at a time; normally, they will be using 1, 2, maybe 3 total.  CVS
> gnome-linuxconf makes some improvements, and I have more in store.

another thing I noticed was no feedback when it's doing something ... you
click on a button or click on the tree and for a few seconds nothing
happens ... when I sat my dad in front of it (my mom refuses to do somthing
as drastic as use a configuration dialog box since she thinks she'd mess
it up:) ... he clicked it several times and got a whole bunch of tabs ...
maybe change the cursor until the tab appears ... he also sometimes clicked
on buttons several times since they seemed to have no effect for a short
while (since I guess it took linuxconf that long to change the display)
.... maybe add a timeout with a cursor change after button presses ...

George

George Lebl <jirka@5z.com> http://www.5z.com/jirka/
  The following implements RSA in perl and is illegal to export from the US: