Re: GNOME needs VA's help?

Hi Dan!  Wow, you guys really keep your ear to the
ground in terms of what's going on in Gnome-Land here!  Great!

Yes, well, I've bandied about the idea that perhaps VA might be able to give
us some kind of discount on a YMP system for doing constant builds on the
Gnome source tree.  This would ensure stability of the desktop that (I
presume) will eventually be shipped with most VA computers.  The
Tinderbox method that Mozilla/Netscape has devised seems (from my own
observation) to be a really effective way of ensuring stability and
accountability for bugs introduced by CVS commits.  Up until a few days
ago, having a stable source tree wasn't such a big issue, as everyone was
feverishly working to get their bells-and-whistles into the code for the
feature-freeze anyway.  Now that we have a "stable" branch of feature-frozen
code that is being groomed for a dynamite (and relatively bug-free) Gnome
1.0 release, I
think the time is probably right for a Tinderbox to be set up.

Well, with all this
whining and talking that I have been doing, the question has been asked
"why don't you set one up yourself, Shane?"  Although I do have a
cable-modem connection to the internet (making CVS downloads a breeze),
my computer is a paltry AMD K6-233Mhz w/64M SDRAM (and a 4.0G Linux
partition that is bursting at the seams as is).

As you probably well know, compilation is a very processor-intensive
activity.  Compiling the entire Gnome source tree CONSTANTLY is
back-breaking labor for any lesser system :-)  If, however, we could set
up a dual-processor VA YMP server (with the latest 2.1.xxx SMP Linux
kernel) to do these builds around the clock, I think that the Gnome
source tree would see an exponential rise in stability.  This way, by
simply visiting a web-page, developers would know whether the tree is in a
cosistent, "safe" state or up in flames.  It would also increase
accountability, as "blame annotations" could be placed on the web page
(as you see at
http://cvs-mirror.mozilla.org/webtools/tinderbox/showbuilds.cgi?tree=raptor) and emails
could be sent to gnome-list and all developers who made commits to the
server since it caught on fire.

I don't claim to be that much of a representative of the Gnome hacker
community.  I'm more the type who is constantly downloading the tree to
build the cool new features that are being added to gnome on a daily
basis and then complaining about the build breaking (and begging for
help on gnome-list, hopefully contributing some semi-useful bug reports
in the process :-).  But I would love to continue helping out along these
lines
until I do know the API's well enough to contribute as a "hacker."
Perhaps there is someone at RHAD who would be a better contact on the
Gnome end for a collaborative hardware relationship.  But, if they are too
busy hacking (as I suspect they are), I would be happy to help
coordinate the acquisition of and/or administrate a
Tinderbox server if appropriate.

Thank you for your time,
Shane Lenagh