Re: file selector-power users excluded

>How about leaving the rwxrwxrwx flags there, making them toggle-able (is
>that even a word?) by clicking on them, and making the tooltip/cursor help
>pop a reminder as to which group of flags affects which permissions(r/g/o)?
>That way people who understand them can just click what they want (if it's
>outside the default the umask for the directory sets, which arguably should
>be correct in most cases...).

File views (of any kind, browser or save dialog) should have that. And user
- group, date, size and other info avaliable. Right click on a column header
to enter config mode (of all columns: "hide col ..., "unhide col ...", "set
col size ...", any you may see interesting). Left to order by that column.

>I think that might make more sense then trying to *completely* hide the
>permissions. Anyone venturing into command line mode is going to see them
>anyway.

NT way of handle it is really cumbersome. Too many clicks for a so necessary
thing, so nobody uses file permission in the same way you use it in Unix.

BTW: I have heard that some OSs (Acorn's?) use the same (exactly the same)
window to browse the files system and to save file (there is no save window
;] ). To save? DND a icon to a fs window.

Or [idea! maybe in other OSs?] launch a new window, with the addition a
queue of files to save (normally one icon, big icon in prominent place,
maybe more if multisave): you move arround with this browser, DNDing the
icon from the "queue icon list" to file system position (big "howto" message
saying the procedure, with "Ok, I learned how saving works in Gnome, do not
show this message again", a la Gimp tips).

You can set the window to autoclose when queue is empty (default) or keep it
for future things (more things for "tips and tricks" messages). Also, if you
close it before emptying the queue, it says "Some things not saved, see the
queue, there are X files to save. Close without saving - No close, I will save".

GSR