Re: File selection dialog changes

On Tue, 15 Dec 1998, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> Erik Andersen wrote:
> > As a pointer -- do I just need to change gtk+/gtk/gtkfilesel.c, or
> > do you know of any other stuff that needs to be done?  As far as I know,
> > gnome-libs/libgnomeui/gnome-file-entry.c seems to be doing something
> > else entirely, right?
>
> You are right.  :)  But far more caution needs to be exercised when
> adding to Gtk+.  Unless it's a warning fix or something, you probably
> should post a patch to gtk-devel-list@redhat.com as well as
> gnome-hackers@gnome.org, to see if anyone has comments.
>
> Your ideas sound really good, but (as you pointed out) there isn't
> a GNOME-specific, independent file browse dialog.  Implementing all that
> functionality (CORBA bindings, etc.) would need to go into GNOME, not
> Gtk+.  It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to add drag-n-drop support to
> gtkfilesel, if it doesn't have it already.

Perhaps this is the time to create a gnome specific file dialog.
As you say, we can't have Gtk mucking about with CORBA.  How about
this:  I could rev Gtk and simply hard code several common file ops (cut,
copy, rename, mkdir, set permissions) fairly similar to what is already
there.  Then Gnome could later add decorations via CORBA (i.e. open,
open with..., mail to, etc... using a gnome-file-sel-dialog>  The Gnome
stuff could be added to some future rev.  Is Gtk going to be frozen as
well?  If so I really need to get home and start coding this up!

> Then there's the freeze, and this sounds like a big change to filesel
> dialogs everywhere... :)
>
> 	Jeff

Well, nobody uses 'em anyway.  ;-)  Seriously though, this is one of the
best features that NT's gui has.  It really is easy to use, and lets me
avoid using that wretched explorer thing (the file manager -- not to be
confused with IExplorer) (well, I really use bash, but you get the idea...)

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.inconnect.com/~andersen/
                   email:  andersee@debian.org