Re: Spaces in file and directory names.

Many UNIX utilities (and legacy shell scripts) do not gracefully
handle spaces in file names.  The tcsh was the first example I could
think of.  The tcsh flaw I outlined is not so much a bug as the bad
design of the original csh language (foreach name (wordlist) ... end).
The idea of fixing all missing support for spaces in file names does
not pass the giggle test.

This is why I think spaces in file names are a bad idea and this is
why I expressed the hope that none of the standard gnome directories
and file names would contain spaces.  This would give an inexperienced
user the impression that this practice was encouraged as well as being
a pain in the ass for the advanced user.

This, and only this, was the poorly presented opinion of my original
message.

Whew.

  Gisli

PS:  For the record, the tcsh completion mechanism handles spaces
quite nicely:

~> touch Two\ Words
~> ls Tw<TAB>
   ls Two\ Words

I too am surprised that the ksh does not do it justice.