Re: When do files expire in CVS repositry ?

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Martin Baulig wrote:

>Things do never "expire" in the repository.
>
>Of cause you can't go further back in time than the time the initial
>import of a module was made.
>
>For instance, doing a
>
>	cvs update -D "02/03/98 23:00 GMT" gnome-libs
>
>should bring your gnome-libs back to Feb 3 this year but a
>
>	cvs update -D "02/03/98 23:00 GMT" libgtop
>
>will fail since this module was imported end of May this year.
>
>But your -D "1998-1202 23:00" isn't a valid date for CVS - you should
>write it as -D "02/12/98 23:00 GMT" (you mean Feb 12 ?).

I transcribed incorrectly the date format. It was -D "1998-12-02 23:00".

>To find out when a module was imported into CVS you first need to find
>one file in it that was added by this initial import and not at a later
>time - for instance ChangeLog, configure.in the top-level Makefile.am etc.
>Then do a "cvs log" on this file and look at the date of its first
>revision.
>Another way is doing a "cvs update -r 1.1.1.1" in it - this should give
>you the module as it was after its initial import.

I see now I completely misunderstood the meaning of the message. The
exact one is :

     cvs server: <file name> is no longer in the repository

It is this "no longer" that misled me while the message means in fact
there are in my CVS source many files added after 2 Dec 1998, for
example, gnome-libs/gnome-data/mime-magic, added on 3rd Dec 1998.

Thank you for the clear explanation.

junichi