Re: When do files expire in CVS repositry ?

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Junichi Saito wrote:

> While trying to update certain modules with -D "1998-1202 23:00", I saw
> messages saying (approximately) " there is no xxx in the repositry". What
> is the time limit ?

Things do never "expire" in the repository.

Of cause you can't go further back in time than the time the initial
import of a module was made.

For instance, doing a

	cvs update -D "02/03/98 23:00 GMT" gnome-libs

should bring your gnome-libs back to Feb 3 this year but a

	cvs update -D "02/03/98 23:00 GMT" libgtop

will fail since this module was imported end of May this year.

But your -D "1998-1202 23:00" isn't a valid date for CVS - you should
write it as -D "02/12/98 23:00 GMT" (you mean Feb 12 ?).

To find out when a module was imported into CVS you first need to find
one file in it that was added by this initial import and not at a later
time - for instance ChangeLog, configure.in the top-level Makefile.am etc.
Then do a "cvs log" on this file and look at the date of its first
revision.

Another way is doing a "cvs update -r 1.1.1.1" in it - this should give
you the module as it was after its initial import.

The above is true at least for developer's CVS.

For anon cvs it's basically the same since anon cvs servers should also
have all revisions of each file, but I don't know this exactly.

Martin

   Martin Baulig - Angewandte Mathematik - Universitaet Trier
   martin@home-of-linux.org, http://www.home-of-linux.org/