Can't compile libIDL (autogen.sh/libtool problems)

I've been trying to compile gnome and I've run into some problems.  This
is the first time I've used libtool and I'm not that familiar with m4
macros.  So I'm at a loss about that is wrong.

I've been following the directions from:
http://www.cinternet.net/~soren/gnome/cvs.shtml
It's been very helpful but now I'm stuck

My system:
RedHat 5.2 (kernel 2.1.131 (x86))
autoconf   v2.12
automake   v1.3
libtool    v1.2

I have compiled glib and gtk+ without problems.  Third on my compile
list is libIDL (if I try ORBit I get the same problems with libIDL) and
that is where the problems start.

Mainly I've been having difficulty using aclocal and getting it to
include
.m4 files correctly.  No matter what I do aclocal never finds
AM_PROG_LIBTOOL,
AC_CPP_ACCEPT_IDL, or AC_CPP_PIPE_STDIN.  Also it always complains
about "duplicated macro `AM_PATH_GTK'" from gtk.m4.

After copying libtool.m4 to ./aclocal.m4 and including
gnome/share/aclocal to my ACLOCAL_FLAGS environment variable this is
what I get.

---

[root@dagohbah libIDL]# ./autogen.sh --prefix=/opt/gnome
--with-gtk-prefix=/opt/gnome
processing .
aclocal: /opt/gnome/share/aclocal/gtk.m4: 7: duplicated macro
`AM_PATH_GTK'
aclocal: configure.in: 28: macro `AM_PROG_LIBTOOL' not found in library
autoconf: Undefined macros:
configure.in:12:AC_CPP_ACCEPT_IDL
configure.in:16:AC_CPP_PIPE_STDIN
Running ./configure --enable-maintainer-mode --prefix=/opt/gnome
--with-gtk-prefix=/opt/gnome
./configure: syntax error near unexpected token
`AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(libIDL,'
./configure: ./configure: line 531: `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(libIDL, 0.5.7)'

---

I want to get the latest gnome source working on my box so I can start
working on some projects in gnome.  If anyone can help me I would
appreciate it very much.

Thanks,
Allen Unueco

allen@premierweb.com