Re: Speech Recognition

Bertrand Guiheneuf wrote:

> jirka@5z.com said:
> // > Recognition  List (which is very Town Coucil oriented btw):
> // it sounds quite non-free ... therefore, it can't be integrated into
> // gnome
>
> Ohhhh, I feel better. I thought new Linux  users would use KDE because
> of things like Automatic Speech Recognition, but you're right, we
> just have to explain them it's not free and they wont use it ;-))
>
> Well George, I sent this mail only to advise everybody that KDE team
> will surely  include a continuous speech decoder in its possible
> input devices. That's all. The question is will we find an OSS equivalent?

heheheh... i guess i could write something acerbic right back but i
guess it would be more productive to point out that since the gnome
libraries are lgpl'ed, it is, in fact, quite possible to make
proprietary gnome software. in fact, i hope this happens: i would love
to see pagemaker and pro tools ported to linux and fully
gnome-compliant. i would pay big money for either, in fact.

whether gnome software _should_ be free from a moral standpoint is
purely a personal issue rather than legal. i for one would like to see
the speech-recognition part be gpl'ed because it stands a good chance of
becoming an integral "core" part of operating systems for the next
century, but i'm not flatly opposed to all non-free software so i think
this is something to be pursued anyway.
--
| To ensure privacy and data integrity this message |