Re: FreeBSD and GLIB CVS problems

On Tue, 8 Dec 1998, JONATHAN RISTA wrote:

> To: gnome-list@gnome.org
> Subject: FreeBSD and GLIB CVS problems
> From: JONATHAN RISTA <jrista@usa.net>
>
> I am a FreeBSD 2.2.7 user, and I have been following gnome development quite closely. I'd love to try it out on my system and see how everything works, but I am running into several problems. The current public release of gnome, version 0.30, compiles on my system but does not execute. All programms and applets core dump immediately after execution. The panel sometimes executes, but core dumps within 10 minutes.
>
> My current problem is compileing the CVS version of gnome and enlightenment. GLIB now uses something called POLL. I do now know what that is, but I know that FreeBSD 2.2.7 does not have it. Because my system does not have the POLL libraries or headers or whatever, the gmain.c file will not compile. Is there anyone who can tell me what this POLL is, if it is only a LINUX library/header/whatever, or if gnome is becomming a LINUX-only desktop environment. If anyone knows a fix for compiling the latest version of GLIB under freebsd short of #ifdef'ing the whole gmain.c file out, I'd be delighted to know your fix. Thanx for any help.

On BSD systems poll () is something like select () is on Linux - a
function that waits until some input becomes available at a file
descriptor.

This function exists at least on FreeBSD 3.0 and we should check for it
on other systems.

That's just to let you know what poll is. I'll look at this ASAP.

Martin

   Martin Baulig - Angewandte Mathematik - Universitaet Trier
   martin@home-of-linux.org, http://www.home-of-linux.org/