Re: Is it a proper CVS dep tree?

On Mon, 7 Dec 1998, Sergey I. Panov wrote:

> To: Daniel.Veillard@w3.org
> Subject: Re: Is it a proper CVS dep tree?
> From: "Sergey I. Panov" <sipan@mit.edu>
>
> >   Nice tree ! Useful too ... I will just add that gnome-xml doesn't
> > depend on gtk+ nor glib, but gnome-dom depends on gnome-xml. I don't think
> > that gnome-core depends on gnome-xml or gnome-dom (wasn't listed in the
> > list of packages for the 1.0 release) so it's more at the gnome-utils level
> > or the (optional) one actually.
>

> Is it better now? What worries me is that I have no idea where
> guile-core and  gnome-guile functionality comes in to play. For
> intance I failed to compile those two packeges but game "aisleriot"
> works just fine, even though it uses guile.
>

> If you think that something is wrong here, please, let me know.
>

>         Sergey

What about the following:

glib

 |---------------------------------------\
 |    _______                            |
 |   /       |                           V
 V  /        V                         ORBit
gtk+      gtk-engines  (optional)        |
 |  \________|                           |
 |                                       /
 |<--------------------------------------

 |---------------------------\
 |                           |
imlib                        |
 |                           |
 |     audiofile (optional)  |
 |         |                 |
 |         V                 |
 |       esound  (optional)  |        gnome-xml (optional)
 |         |                 |             |
 |     ____|                 |          ___|_______
 |    |                      |         |           |
 V    V                      V         |           V
gnome-libs  gnome-objc  gnome-guile    |      gnome-dom (optional)
 |             |           |           |           |
 |             |           |           |           |
 V             |           |           |           |
libgtop        |           |           |           |
 |             |           |           |           |
 V             |           |           |           |
gnome-core     |           |           |           |
 |_____________|___________|___________|___________|

  _________|________________________________________________________
 |         |            |               |             |             |
 |         V            V               V             V             V
 |   gnome-admin   gnome-network   gnome-utils   gnome-media   gnome-games

 |________________________________________
        |           |          |          |
        V           V          V          V

      applications (gmc, ee, gdm, litespeed, ...)

Not all applications require gnome-core, so perhaps this:

gnome-libs

   |--------------------------------\
   |                                |
   V                                |
libgtop                             V
   |                      most of the applications

   V              V
gnome-core       gtop

other applications

   Martin Baulig - Angewandte Mathematik - Universitaet Trier
   martin@home-of-linux.org, http://www.home-of-linux.org/