Re: Whose end is this broken on. . .

On Sat, 5 Dec 1998, Brandon S. Allbery wrote:

> +----- From: Michael Bruce <bruce@infinet.com>
> | The problem is that the panel won't allow applets.  When starting it
> | up from just an xterm, I get: "Unable to connect to server port
> | 35091".  The panel runs, but no applets (I had to blow away my previous
> | settings, because if it tries to start up applets when it is run, it
> | bombs).  All other apps give the same error message.
> +--->8
>
> You need to update a few more packages.  And some applets are currently
> broken (e.g. slash_applet doesn't like the GOAD argument; starting it from
> the command line works).

Which packages do I need to update. . .

> The "Unable to connect to server port 35091" means GNOME found EsounD
> installed, and is trying to use it, but the esd server isn't running.
> This is actually a good thing, as bugs in the EsounD implementation can
> cause all GNOME programs to die with "Broken pipe" while trying to use
> the EsounD server.

It is my humble suggestion that the error message say "esd server",
rather than just server.  This would have been very much more
informative.

> Your list of packages seemed a bit short, so I assume you have the older
> Red Hat RPMs loaded.  GNOME is a rapidly moving target, though, so you are
> better off using the CVS versions of all GNOME-related packages; there *are*
> significant incompatibilities between the current CVS code and the older
> packages.

I wiped all GNOME RPMs out several months ago.

Generally, I just don't have time to build a bunch of different pieces
that I'm not going to use, so I don't check them out, ever.

Oh, as another data point that I forgot to mention in my original
message: when I try to add an applet, the panel hangs completely, and
swallows all keyboard input (except for the X-server keys), so I have
to alt-tab to a VT and kill it.

--
Michael Bruce  | http://www.infinet.com/~bruce UPDATE 8-10-1998
"I am already the undisputed KING of Usenet and all Government