Re: Whose end is this broken on. . .

+----- From: Michael Bruce <bruce@infinet.com>
| The problem is that the panel won't allow applets.  When starting it
| up from just an xterm, I get: "Unable to connect to server port
| 35091".  The panel runs, but no applets (I had to blow away my previous
| settings, because if it tries to start up applets when it is run, it
| bombs).  All other apps give the same error message.
+--->8

You need to update a few more packages.  And some applets are currently
broken (e.g. slash_applet doesn't like the GOAD argument; starting it from
the command line works).

The "Unable to connect to server port 35091" means GNOME found EsounD
installed, and is trying to use it, but the esd server isn't running.
This is actually a good thing, as bugs in the EsounD implementation can
cause all GNOME programs to die with "Broken pipe" while trying to use
the EsounD server.

Your list of packages seemed a bit short, so I assume you have the older
Red Hat RPMs loaded.  GNOME is a rapidly moving target, though, so you are
better off using the CVS versions of all GNOME-related packages; there *are*
significant incompatibilities between the current CVS code and the older
packages.

# snarfed from my GNOME buildscript
my @compile_list = ('audiofile',
		    'esound',