Flickering panel menu titles

When moving the mouse pointer over the titles of the panel menus, they
get selected for a short amount of time and the deselected again to get
their "normal" look. The flickering this causes makes the panel look a
bit "cheap". I looked through the code responsible for the menus, line
680 of menu.c in the panel subdirectory:

        gtk_signal_connect_object(GTK_OBJECT(menuitem),"select",
				  GTK_SIGNAL_FUNC(gtk_item_deselect),
				  GTK_OBJECT(menuitem));

So, when the pointer is over the item, it gets selected and emits the
select-signal and then gets deselected.

I haven't found a way to make a menuitem non-selectable, but then again,
I'm not an expert when it comes to gtk+. Is it possible to make a
menuitem unselectable? The flickering is not -that- bad, but on my
computer (P166), the flickering takes long enough to show clearly.

Regards,
 Richard