Re: Installing GNOME

vincent@ic3w.net wrote:

> Hello All ...
> I try to install "gnome" on a linux RH5.2 box.
> I 've downloaded all the latest rep /gnome
> First , i try to :
> #rpm -Uhv glib10-1.0.6-2.i386.rpm
> /usr/lib/libglib.so.1.0.6 conflicts with file from glib-1.0.6-3
> error: glib10-1.0.6-2.i386.rpm cannot be installed
> #
>
> What i can do ... can i force like this :
> rpm -i glib10-1.0.6-2.i386.rpm --force
>
> Can you tell me ?

yes, you can do that, but i don't recommend it.

see, the reason why there are now 2 different rpm's for the same version
of glib is so that you can use the stable and devel versions of glib
from rpm's without having to deal with file conflicts like this one.
consequently, they've merely renamed the old version of the "glib"
package to "glib10" and used the "glib" name for the devel version.

the proper course of action for this (and any of the rpm's with "10"
versions and "normal" versions) is as follows:

rpm -e glib-1.0.6-3

...at which point, of course, rpm will complain that you have a lot of
other rpm's (like the gimp) that depends on this one. so change that
commandline to this:

rpm -e --nodeps glib-1.0.6-3

...and then install the new "10" version and the "normal" version
thusly:

rpm -Uvh glib10-1.0.6-2.i386.rpm
rpm -Uvh glib-1.1.<whatever>-<whatever>.i386.rpm

you'll need to follow the same steps with the "gtk+10" and "gtk+-1.1.*"
rpm's.

btw, this is a faq imo... i haven't seen the faq recently, but if this
isn't in there, may i suggest it for inclusion?

> Other thing :
> I thought that one of project of gnome what a window manager. When i read the
> doc and faq for RH, i can see :
> panel &
>     background-properties-init &
>     screensaver-properties-init &
>     mouse-properties-init &
>     exec [your favorite window manager]
> ... what should i write : windowMaker or fvwm2 ...??
>
> Perhaps for you it seems easy, but i used to work on console ...
> Thank you in advance,

you can use whichever window manager you prefer, and let's please not
start a wm war here, but i suggest setting up your .xinitrc this way
instead:

<name-of-window-manager> &
gnome-session

...that way your "logout" button on the panel or in the gnome menu will
serve to end your x session, and you don't need to worry about quitting
your window manager.

btw, i used window maker until i switched to enlightenment last week, so
my .xinitrc looked like this:

exec wmaker -nodock -noclip &
gnome-session

...and i had a lot of success with that combination and generally
impressed a lot of non-linux-users.
--
| To ensure privacy and data integrity this message |