Re: what's the deal with libgmodule?

Todd Graham Lewis <tlewis@mindspring.net> writes:
> Is this a new glib'ism?  Can someone please brief the rest of us on what's
> going on?

It's an interface for loading modules at run-time.  It is basically a
wrapper for `dlopen'/`shl_load'.

> I wanted to recompile gtk+ to get themes, but it appeared that I
> needed glib, so I got the latest glib, and now all hell breaks loose
> because nothing is linked against libgmodule, so I have to recompile
> everything.

You don't really have to.  If you have already built stuff with the new
`glib', but are only are getting link errors regarding `gmodule_*', just
do:

	./config.status --recheck
	./config.status
	make

This'll go through.  The "problem" is that the output of `glib-config'
is different, but your Makefile has no way of knowing that.

You can't escape recompiling everything, if you're using a new version
of `glib', can you.

- Hari