ANNOUNCE: Balsa v0.4.5

Monday August 24, 1998

Balsa version 0.4.5

What's new;

In the last 7 months, Balsa has been re-written more times than I care to
remember.  Jay Painter, the original author left the project due to time
constraints.  He worked very hard to get Balsa the stage it is at.  So I would
like to dedicate this release to him.  Thanks Jay!  Without your help I never
could have accomplished this!

In the last 3 months since Jay left, a great deal has been changed.  These
include:

*  Removal of the c-client mail library.  This was replaced by a librarized
   version of mutt, a very nice and fast curses based mail client.  Thanks goes
   out to the hard working mutt developers who have created such a wonderful
   client!

*  IMAP mailboxes, POP3, mbox, MH, and qmail's maildir mailboxes are all
   supported.  Although there are a few issues to be worked out with the POP3
   mailboxes, everything else seems to work perfectly.

*  MIME support is coming.  Limited support for MIME is in Balsa.  It will not
   display the MIME parts currently, other than just telling you they are
   there in the message.  Look for this in future releases.

*  Sending mail (this is always a plus in a mail client :)  Balsa supports
   sending mail using sendmail (SMTP is not implemented currently), replying
   and forwarding.  Balsa does not yet support attachments, but this should be
   done soon.

*  User friendly!  Balsa is (or tries to be) very user friendly.  It has a
   nice looking setup procedure that is run the first time Balsa is started.
   Balsa has very nice looking icons drawn by Tuomas Kuosmanen (tigert).  I
   really appreciate it Tuomas!

*  I'm not sure what else.  Balsa is really moving along, and I hope to have
   fairly regular releases from now on.

OK, now where to get it:

On the web: http://www.balsa.net/download.html
Via ftp:    ftp://ftp.innerx.net/pub/balsa

Reporting bugs:

Email:      balsadev@gtk.org
Web:        http://www.gnome.org/cgi-bin/bugs

I would appreciate it if you would report them on the web even if you email
them as well.  Please check the TODO list and/or the FAQ on
http://www.balsa.net/ before reporting bugs to make sure they are not known or
not implemented yet.

Stuart Parmenter <pavlov@innerx.net>