Re: GNOME CVS: gmedia ttarrant

>> This is the whole COPYING file from version 0.59o
>> The way it will be used in GNOME (a "hidden" component), I don't
>> think it can be included in the main distribution of GNOME.
>
>Ok.  Can you make sure no gnome code links with the mpg123 code?  The
>license on the file you sent is definetly non compatible with the GPL.

To anyone interested in using mpg123 as a part of GNOME:

I have a front-end to mpg123 that I wrote call GQmpeg, it uses an interface
to mpg123 v 0.59o which requires no changes to be made to mpg123, it works with
the stock mpg123.

It gets a continuous status from mpg123 over a pipe, including time
elapsed/remaining and the song Header info. If interested you can download
it here:

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Haven/5235/gqmpeg-0.3.3.src.tgz

have a look at playerio.c

Then just make mpg123 an optional external program distributed seperately.

I think the license will allow you to distribute a patch to work with esound,
as long as you include the original mpg123 source with the package.

I can see it now:

   "To play mp3 files, please download this external package:"
             mpg123-0.59o-esound-1.i386.rpm

John
--
John Ellis <johne@bellatlantic.net>