Re: Announce: gnome-utils/mini-utils/guname now use libgtop

Martin Baulig <martin@home-of-linux.org> writes:

>   To get the `Detailed Information ..' dialog one needs to click
>   on some of the items with the right mouse button. When I look
>   at other GNOME applications, clicking with the right mouse
>   button on a list item normally means a menu with stuff specific
>   to the list item you clicked on pops up (see gtop, right click on
>   a process and the menu let you do things with this process).
>
>   Also, I remember that when I first used guname I didn't get the
>   `Detailed Information ..' dialog until you told me about it and
>   I looked at the code since I did not get the idea to right-click
>   on any of the list items. This may also fool new users.
>
>   So shouldn't we add some button or even make a double-click work,
>   so anyone seeing this program the first time knows that there is
>   a `Detailed Information ..' dialog ?

It should be reorganized.  Here are my thoughts:

 * The initial window should contain only very basic information. OS,
   distribution, maybe memory size

 * There should be a lot more information available through this
   window.  The rest of the stuff, including the disk info which is
   today mysteriously hidden under the third mouse button.  Also other
   information, like multi-CPU status, disks etc.  All this should not
   be put in a "GNOME About" window.

 * I should be more portable.  I started rewriting stuff in guname to
   use sysinfo() instead of uname(), which gave more information on
   Solaris, but then I realized that libgtop was not yet ported to
   Solaris, so I sort of left it.

How about a notebook type window?

--
David Kågedal        <davidk@lysator.liu.se> http://www.lysator.liu.se/~davidk/