Re: Regarding wheel mice...

"Richard Hult" <d4hult@dtek.chalmers.se> writes:

> There was a discussion about wheel mice support here a while ago. I
> just wanted to make a suggestion... why don't we use imwheel (do a
> search on freshmeat to find it) that converts the wheel motions to
> usual keyboard key presses?

That feels like a hack.  An application (or widget set) that knows
what it's doing ought to be able to do better.

For example, the XEmacs mwheel.el has an option: I have a choice over
which window scrolls---either the one with the pointer or the one
which is active.  So I choose the former, and in Gnus, the Summary
window is active, and moving the pointer makes it easy to scroll the
Article window.

How can this kind of thing be done if I use imwheel?  This just seems
such a crude way of handling it.  Better than nothing, admittedly.