RE: fonts

> Does GNOME have any plans for dealing with X fonts? What X gives is an
> unholy mess, it would be nice if Gnome could help out.
>
> The first problem with X fonts is the naming system; it's a
> classification that only a serioius geek could love. Has anyone ever
> seen a good tool for dealing with X font selection? Both Gimp and
> xfontsel basically leave it up to the user to figure out what the hell
> "Spacing" or "Set width" mean. Gimp does at least get rid of some of
> the more obscure settings but it's still hard to use. It'd be nice if
> we could somehow hide the complexity of X's font naming system.
> Family, type (bold/italic), and size are about the only things most
> users want to know about.

The GtkFontSelection & GtkFontSelectionDialog widgets are in GTK 1.1,
and I hope provide an easy way for non-geeks to select X fonts.
(http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/~damon/fontsel/index.html has a gtk
replacement for xfontsel, and some screenshots.)

If you've got GTK 1.1 you can see the widgets by running gtk/testgtk.

I think there are plans to update the GnomeFontSelector to use this at
some point.

Damon