Re: GTK+ themes : libgnomeui dependencies ?

Jeff Steele <steele@cheesesteak.physics.drexel.edu> writes:
> SHORT FORM :
>
> I build gtk+ (with themes) and the pixmap engine can't find *_imlib_*
> routines from libgnomeui.

*_imlib_* are from libgdk_imlib, not libgnomeui.

> LONG FORM :
>
> I downloaded and built GTK+ from CVS (two days ago) and after some
> tweaking  (supplying arguments to aclocal) got everything to compile.
>
> (I have a 0.25/0.26 gnome tree under /opt/gnome (including the "old"
> gtk+)  and the "new" gtk is under /opt/gtk-themes. )
>
> If I run "testgtk", it crashes with the following :
>
> >>    path /opt/gtk-themes/lib/gtk/themes/engines
>
> >>    ** ERROR **: /opt/gtk-themes/lib/gtk/themes/engines/libpixmap.so:
> >>    undefined symbol: gdk_imlib_render
>
> The pixmap engine is being loaded properly, but it depends on (makes
> calls to) gdk_imlib_render() which lives in libgnomeui.  For some
> reason libgnomeui is not being loaded.  If I do a "ldd" on testgtk I
> get (satisfied) dependencies on libgtk, libgdk, and non-gnome stuff.
>
> Q: How do I make it work ?

Looks like the engine needs libgdk_imlib -- but due to the hobbled
library dependency generation of `libtool', it can't tell the rest of
the world about it.

Overall, this looks pretty messy to me:

	gdk_imlib depends on gtk+
	gtk+ depends on gdk_imlib, via the themes stuff

Owen, Raster, is it feasible to separate the theme engine itself into a
separate package to break this dependency loop.

- Hari