Re: [Summary] Meta-data/filesystem-encapsulation

On Mon, 17 Aug 1998, Todd Graham Lewis wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Aug 1998, Christopher Curtis wrote:
>
> > THIS IS _N_O_T_ A RELIANCE AND IMPLEMENTING IT WOULD NOT DETRACT FROM ANY
> > OTHER SYSTEM BEING IMPLEMENTED.
> >
> > Yes.  It is Linux and ext2 specific (for the sake of argument) but it is A
>
> I really do understand you frustration on this issue.  It is unfortunate
> that there is no good way to store metadata with the conventional unix
> fs api.  However, c'est la vie, and we have to live with it.

You can have a complete Linux fs reside inside a DOS file.  Just sayin'.

> > > This policy is not the result of our trying to quash innovation.  It is
> > > the result of the policy decision that we _will_ work with all modern
> > > unices.  That goal comes first.  I hope that you can understand.
> >
> > I *do* understand but it sure seems like nobody else does.  What I propose
> > may not work on all unices, but that is not its intent.
>
> And that's why it does not belong in GNOME.

I have a Linux box sitting next to me that can't run X.

Is GNOME then never going to use a flatfile database since not all unices
come with support for them?

Honestly, I think you're right in that you are trying not to incorporate
anything that will break support for other systems, but this does not
break support.  Again, it's EXACTLY like OS/2.  If you format your
partition HPFS, EAs get stored in the filesystem.  If it is formatted FAT,
EAs are stored in an external file.  It supports both and they
interoperate semlessly: copy to HPFS and the attribues follow.  Copy to
FAT and the external file gets created.  There is no harm in supporting an
embedded storage method.  Just more work.  Maybe it'll not be implemented
(though I think it should) - it can always be (easily) added later.

--
Christopher Curtis               - http://www.ee.fit.edu/users/ccurtis
                                 - System Administrator, Programmer