Re: Metadata should be optional

I think people are getting too weird witht he metadata stuff ...

metadata should be used only when really really needed (such as if you set
a per file attribute) ... then it should be stored in say

.ea/<filename>

and that should be done with the gnome-config stuff as everything else

if people really really want cp and mv to do the right thing ... you can
just patch the gnu versions ... I don't see that as a large problem ...

metadata isn't something so crucial, if you moved a file in the "wrong way"
... you may loose a setting or two ... but I guess most files won't have
any metadata to begin with ...

so settle down ... patching ext2 won't help anything ... it's gonna be the
same result as using .ea ... patching libc will only help when moving on
one file system ... if we were to design something which would never loose
the metadata ... we'd have to design a new system ... unix was not designed
to do this on a system level, so it has to be done on an app level ... I
don't find this important enough to have to redesign something that works
quite well already ...

plus it's not really a decision of anybody else, but the person writing the
code, which is miguel here I guess ...

George

George Lebl <jirka@5z.com> http://www.5z.com/jirka/
  The following implements RSA in perl and is illegal to export from the US: