restarting X

Amazingly, I got everything to compile out of CVS and run.  But when I
log out (using the log out button on the panel) and then try to log back
in I get an error along the lines of .ICEauthority- unable to connect to
display.

If I "rm -rf ~/.gnome*" and try again it works, but I of course lose all
of my settings in gnome.

I'm using gnome from CVS (around 1am US-Pacific time...this morning) and
Enlightenment from the same place.  Any ideas on this one?

Caleb Shay
skin@ecom.net