[Fwd: GMC: Recreating the best console file manager for X]

As gnome increases in popularity among distributors, I feel that it is
important to discuss some issues in refining gmc (which will, in most
cases, be the most commonly used component). After looking around for a
gmc mailing list I came up empty handed. An mc mailing list exists, but
I feel that this topic would be more properly addressed with other gnome
developers. This thread is set up to bring about an open discussion
about what everyone feels is necessary for gmc's success.

	In my experience with file managers under X, I feel that gmc is lacking
some important features that need to be addressed before gnome can
conquer the world. Most notably is simple visual configuration (or lack
there of:)) in gmc. It seems as if there is no easy way for a
non-expirenced Linux user to bind file types to applications and icons.
In my opinion, this specific problem should be examined by observing how
other file managers cope with the situation. One of the best efforts
I've seen recently is the one presented in kfm. Kfm uses a global
directory of mime types as well as a a local directory (allowing users
to override the global bindings.) The mime type files are humanly
readable and configured graphicaly when selecting properties of a mime
file. Also, a file-->new-->mimetype menu entry makes it simple to add
and configure a new mimetype for your filemanager. An exapmle of the
file follows:

[KDE Desktop Entry]
MimeType=image/tiff
Comment=TIFF Image
DefaultApp=
Icon=file-dot-tif.xpm
Type=MimeType
Patterns=*.tif;*.TIF;*.TIFF;*.tiff;

As you can see the file is easily understood and similar to existing
gnome .desktop entries. The directory hierarchy (see below) the files
live in makes it easy to locate and add the new types.

                   mimelnk
      ________________|___________________
     |         |      |      |      |     |
application  audio  image  inode  text  video

Does anyone feel that this would be the best approach? Why? or why not?

Final Note: The best way you can help contribute to the future of gmc
(and gnome) is to contribute ideas and discuss flaws (without stepping
on too many toes:)), so, if you feel up to it, follow up this post with
other suggestions about gmc. For example, how would you feel about gmc
including an XV like "Visual Schnauser" that would turn image formats
readable by imlib into icons for easy thumbnail previewing. Or what
about "liquid filesystems" (I've seen this mentioned somewhere before...
what exactaly is a "liquid filesystem" anyway?)

Later,
Greg